There are actually 5 good reasons for conducting an Awana Grand Prix or other "Faith based" races. You can probably think of more, but these are, in my opinion, the most important.
- Spread the Good News - To reach others with the Gospel of Christ. Each race should include a short Gospel message and other opportunities like the workshops should be used to let others, not just the kids, know about Christ.
- Adult/Child Interaction - Whether the child wins or not, they should be able to look back, with fond memories, at the experience of building a car with their parent (or another adult of their choosing). What I remember most fondly about growing up was the time that I spent with my Dad working on various projects together.
- Craftsmanship - Help the kids, and maybe even some adults, learn some woodworking skills and have the sense of pride in making something with their own hands.
- Promote Good Sportsmanship - After all, it is a competition, so the racers need to know how to be graceful at winning an in defeat. That, and winning isn't everything.
- Have Fun - Let's face it, building the car and racing it is FUN! Otherwise, no one would bother to do it. Who says Christians can't have fun?